Thursday, May 1, 2008

A tribute to my best friend

I did one of the hardest things I have ever done. I was asked to address the church family with a tribute to all Kim has done for the church. I almost got through it without crying.

On a recent Sunday, Fred called me into the hall. I thought what all of you would have thought—“he’s going to ask me to teach Sunday School.” But what he asked me was much more daunting for me. Much more daunting but I was honored to be asked and to have the opportunity to pay tribute to my best friend, Kim Mitchell.

My first reaction to Fred was, “I don’t know if I can.” Of course, what I meant was that I did not know if I could without breaking down. I still don’t know if I can. But with God’s grace and your support, I am going to try.

I still remember the first time the Mitchell family was introduced to our church family. They were sitting in the middle pews, way in the back. They stood up and we welcomed them collectively. I thought then, “what a nice looking family.” I never dreamed that our life paths would become so intertwined over the next almost 5 years.

Allie and Tucker were in Kindergarten here together and Allie and Addison are now best friends and sisters at heart. Cage looks up to Tucker as his “older buddy”. Addison takes care of Banks like he is her own little brother. Kim and I planned field trips together when we both homeschooled and now rely on each other for advice, comfort and prayer almost daily. Since we are buying their home here, Rick and Hal have spent endless hours there, Hal educating Rick on the ins and outs of the house. My mom is known as Nana to the Mitchells as she has kept Cage and Banks for many Girl Scout meetings.

Kim and the Mitchell family have had a tremendous impact on our family. And I would like to remind all of you of the impact Kim has had on this church family by remembering and paying tribute to all of her contributions to First Baptist Church.

I want to preface this tribute by saying that Kim has never wanted credit for her contributions—she has found true joy in them all. She will certainly be embarrassed by what I am about to say.

• Kim has used her beautiful speaking voice and confident, clear delivery to enhance many readings in worship services, Christmas choral pieces, Hanging of the Green experiences, and as narrator of several plays. She was always willing and ready, sometimes at short notice, to use her gifts in this way.
• Kim has been a brilliant children's Missions leader. Her enthusiasm and creativity have been contagious. She really brought Missions alive for our preschoolers by decorating the room in theme, serving food from the countries being studied, and planning and implementing crafts or projects surrounding the theme country.
• Kim has been a stand-by in the nursery and with our children's church, always prepared to help when asked.
• Kim has taught in our Morning Star Bible Adventures Sunday School, always going above and beyond the lesson plan to make the time special for the kids involved. In fact, she spent her last two Sundays at First Baptist teaching art. I overheard Fred ask her if she wanted to go out with a whimper or a bang. Of course, she chose a bang!
• Kim has helped out in Vacation Bible School, doing whatever was needed whenever she was asked.
• Kim was a wonderful hostess for scores of youth pool parties at her home. And I know from being her friend that she was truly happy to host these parties; she never expressed or showed frustration or dread in these situations.
• Kim has been a loyal Girl Scout leader during Allie’s years in Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors. She helped me tremendously and as usual led her group of girls tirelessly. To give you a sense of comparison, Kim’s group of girls completed 9 badges this year while my group completed 4. She not only met on normal meeting days but planned activities for teacher workdays and other days so her girls could complete all the badges they wanted to finish.
• Kim has selflessly shared her homeschool resources and ideas with other church members and has included others in her annual Christmas Around the World program.
• Kim has supported Hal's ministry in so many ways. She gave up a lot of family time so that Hal could spend time at the church leading the youth. She spent time with the kids without him so he could go on mission trips and to camps and other outings. In other words, Kim wants Hal to do good for others even when it means that he misses out on some of his own family time. She has made sure their children were well cared for so that he could devote his time and energy to the youth program without worry. Kim always has room for and is interested in Hal’s debriefings. Kim has given Hal wise advice when he has asked for it, and sometimes when he has not. And now that Hal has been called to a different type of ministry, Kim has been supportive in the decision.
• And last but certainly not least, Kim has been an awesome friend and role model to so many church and community members. Her infectious personality, her never-ending enthusiasm, her endless grace, and her boundless energy have inspired so many other women, including myself. She is the mother I aspire to be. She is a loyal and devoted wife and friend. She does not gossip or say negative things about others. Kim affirms and encourages others with her positive nature and words.

Kim loves this church and the people who make it what it is. I know she hates to leave as much as we hate for them to leave. She will miss us as much as we will miss her and her family. But in true example of what Kim exemplifies, she will leave us with grace and will continue to support Hal and their beautiful family.

Thank you for the memories, my dear friend. You will be sorely missed.

2 comments:

LisaK said...

Lisa, I want you to know that your words truly exemplify what true friendship is all about. You are a great person and I know Kim felt your love for her and her family. I am sure she will miss you as much as you miss her!! You are a wonderful person!

Shannon said...

Lisa, I was very moved by your tribute to Kim. It is wonderful when someone can have a friend that is as thoughtful as you!